Monday, November 29, 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Personal Commemoration- Reflection #7

Modern Religious Experience: Personal Commemoration- Reflection #7: "Think of an event in your life- past, present or future. You are going to create a commemorative ritual for this event. First, describe the ..."

The event that I have chosen to commemorate is my grandma's death. This is an important event to me because I was very close to her, even though I have lived most of my life far away from her. I was always excited to visit her and her husband, my grandfather.

This commemoration will last for 3 days.

Each year, each of the people involved will compose a short speech about one of the experiences they remember sharing with her. For example, one might be:

I remember when I was around 8 years old and I was with my family visiting my grandmother at her summer house in the US. One day, we went out on the speed boat in the ocean near their house. My grandfather let me drive the boat, with a little bit of help, of course. I must have taken the first wave incorrectly, because the boat jerked and my grandmother, sitting in the front of the boat, flew in the air about 2 feet. She spilled her drink all over herself, but all she did was laugh and jump in the water.


In this commemorative event, the physical action that will occur will be the group of people who gather for the event sitting in a circle and discussing their memories about my grandmother. There will also be three candles lit the morning of the first day, and at the end of each day one of the candles will be put out. During the three days there will be one hour of remembrance and the rest of the day no one will work and there will be feasting and celebrating my grandma's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment